Waste carriers, brokers and dealers must register with the Environment Agency and registration costs £154 lasting 3 years. Renewing a registration costs £105.
The current online registration system does not allow customers who have registered since March 2015 to renew online.
The Environment Agency is upgrading this system so customers can renew online, but it may not be ready until after April 2018.
The Environment Agency has provided a Regulatory Position Statement (RPS) so that you can operate lawfully in the interim period.
If you need to renew after 25 March 2018, the Environment Agency will:
- tell you what you need to do if the extension applies to you when they send you your renewals reminder
- extend your current registration by 3 months at no extra cost – you will not need to renew until the upgraded online registration system is ready
- extend the registrations of affected customers in stages until the upgraded online registration system is ready – starting with those due between 25 March and 25 April 2018
- put a notice on the renewals page of the online registration system telling those affected about the automatic extension
- make sure your business is still registered and visible on the public register during the extension period
The Environment Agency will not take enforcement action against you if you do not register during the 3 month extension period.
They will take enforcement action against you if you do not register after the 3 month extension period.